The Rise by H.D. Gordon

Genre: YA (mature)

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Goodreads Says: The supernatural world in which Alexa Montgomery has found herself is on the brink of war. She is charged with the task of raising an army, defeating an evil dictator, and struggling to contain the bloodthirsty monster that lives within her.

These are things Alexa can handle, but when the person she loves most in the world takes a turn for the worst, Alexa's loyalty and determination will be tested in the most horrifying of ways. Will she be able to rise to the challenge, or will her love for her sister kill her once and for all?


I’m speechless… W.O.W.

Alexa needs to be with Nelly. Nelly is lost and needs to be found. Kayden needs to save Alexa but doesn't know how because Alexa will always do what she wants to do and he will let her. Jackson is a pawn. Tommy is dealing. Soraya will always be that wise old soul in a little body that brings balance to Alexa when she needs it and the one character I most love and will miss when this is over. So much turmoil, pain, secrets, surprises, love… OH MY!

The Rise, naturally, picks up immediately where Half Black Soul leaves off. I appreciate how easily it is to transition from book to book in this series. With a blink of an eye I was instantly transported back into this world as if I had never left. It’s been months since I read Half Black Soul but within seconds I was right back emotionally and mentally because to be in this world there is a certain frame of mind you have to be in. Seriously. I feel, to be transitioned this easily is a gift that not too many authors possess and yet H.D. Gordon pulled it off beautifully.

I’m trying to figure out how to convey all that has happened in this book. I think for me, the most important part of this book were the emotions enlaced within its pages. This is not a happy time at all and not for anyone involved. Even when there were moments of joy and peace it was hard to feel them because of everything else that was happening at once. You couldn't shake the feeling that this happiness and joy was temporary and really a blip on the radar screen because the ball was going to drop at any moment. The read itself invoked feelings of sadness, anxiety, wonder, passion and loss. It wasn't without surprises and I felt that you were kept on your toes at every moment. Not a thing was predictable. In fact by the end of the book, my jaw was literally on the floor and my mind was reeling to process all that had happened throughout.

If you are already a fan, this book won’t disappoint. Some mysteries will be solved while others will be newly discovered. If you are waiting for the last book in the series, I say start reading now because the last book will be out in a few weeks and you don’t want to start the New Year having not discovered the greatness this series is. The writing is engaging and risky, the world building amazing, you see character growth in all of the characters in The Rise, and you will not be able to predict a thing that takes place within these books because nothing is what it seems.

P.S. I wouldn't mind reading a book written ONLY in Hayden's POV, the man who says so much without saying anything at all.

A copy was provided by the author via the Shut Up & Read Goodreads Group (Read It & Reap Program).

More deets:

Go to http://hdgordon.com/?p=493 for a teaser!!!

Sign-up for Updates at http://hdgordon.com/ to get information on this series right for the source as soon as she has it!

If you do let me know here! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment