City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

Genre: YA


My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Goodreads Says: To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that enter-ing the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.
As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadow-hunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?
Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the final installment of the New York Timesbestselling trilogy The Mortal Instruments.

I truly am not a huge fan of these books. As I mentioned in my first review, City of Bones, I bumped the series up on TBR because of all the hype surrounding the books.

This book was meant to be the third and last book of the series. Although I'm not a fan I do want to say that Cassandra Clare did a good job of weaving in all the loose ends nicely. There were some things about the book that annoyed me and I will list them but they weren't bad enough to score this one a one.

As I've mentioned before I'm not wow'ed by the writing. It's ok. In this book as in the other two there were reminders of other books that I shall not name since I've already named THE book.
In the last book we are introduced to the youngest Lightwood, Max. He's about ten. In the book he is killed and in the oddest of ways. His killing really didn't make sense and I couldn't understand why the author would choose to kill him of all people. Clary is still her whiny self. Jace is still his repugnant self. Clary now wants to get more serious with Jace and Jace is now saying no they should just be brother and sister...wackadoo...

Besides that there were some more off the wall things plugged into this book that I found... well... off the wall. For example, in the middle of a fighting scene Alec stops to yell at Magnus because he wants to know...wait for it... wait for it... wait for it... WHY HE HASN'T ANSWERED HIS CALLS.

What the heck?

In the middle of a battle of all things to stop and talk about!...It was just ridiculous. I also found Clary's reaction to her mother odd after she had tried so hard to revive her. The only other thing I didn't really like was the lack of a connection with some characters. A lot of these characters were supposed to feeling sadness and a whole lot of other emotions and I just didn't get that from them.

I'm on to the next book and I will tell you this: Simon is ALREADY annoying me.





View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment