Inhale by Kendall Grey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Goodreads Says: Strangers in reality, inseparable in dreams…
After years of suffocating under her boss’s scrutiny, whale biologist Zoe Morgan finally lands a job as director of a tagging project in Hervey Bay, Australia. Success Down Under all but guarantees her the promotion of a lifetime, and Zoe won’t let anything—or anyone—stand in her way. Not the whale voices she suddenly hears in her head, not the ex who won’t take no for an answer, and especially not the gorgeous figment of her imagination who keeps saving her from the fiery hell of her dreams.
Gavin Cassidy hasn’t been called to help a human Wyldling in over a year, which is fine by him. Still blaming himself for the death of his partner, he keeps the guilt at bay by indulging in every excess his rock star persona affords. That is, until he’s summoned to protect Zoe from hungry Fyre Elementals and learns his new charge is the key to restoring order in the dying Dreaming. He never expects to fall for the feisty Dr. Morgan…nor does he realize he may have to sacrifice the woman he loves to save an entire country.
*This book contains graphic language, sex, and some violence. Not suitable for readers under the age of 18.
**The author will donate all profits from the sale of the JUST BREATHE trilogy to programs that educate people about whales and the challenges they face.
RT Convention 2012 had a “Meet Your Favorite Author” event this year. Even though there were some YA authors at this event it was an Adult event with Adult reads. Walking through the aisles, checking out books and what not, I ran into Kendall Grey stationed at her assigned author’s spot. I was shy to approach her but she coaxed me to come closer. She gave me a very brief synopsis of the book and the cover was amazing.
I said- I’ll take it!
She said- whispering- it’s a little naughty, it’s a little violent, there’s some cursing.
I looked at her and looked around the hall we were in… (We were at the Adult event of the Convention w/ Sylvia “Raunchy” Day a few tables away!)
I said- PFFFT! (While waving her off.)
She then proceeds to write my personalization and asks for my name. I told her and I braced myself expecting her to mess it up because hey, it’s a difficult name to pronounce. BUT SHE SAID IT EXACTLY HOW I SAID IT!!! Long story short I will forever remember Kendall Grey because she was too damn cute and she said my name right. Hey, it’s the little things I tell you.
So here I am super excited to get a book that hasn’t come out yet and I definitely read it before MAY 1st expecting to write its review and put it out there before its release… AND I FAILED! ROYALLY!
I read it but with school coming down to the last few weeks and these crazy teachers giving me big projects (still love them they’re just crazy)… I just couldn’t write this review. Until now…
WOW! I have been utterly blessed the last few weeks to read pretty awesome or nearly awesome books. This one right here folks, AWESOME!
INHALE is the first book in the Just Breathe Trilogy by Indie writer Kendall Grey. We follow Zoe Morgan, a whale biologist as she discovers the world of Dreaming. (Shout out to all my biologists out there. Can you guess what I’m majoring in?) We also happen to meet Mr. Perfect aka Gavin Cassidy a Sentinel who must protect Zoe at all costs. What they don’t know is that they are connected in a special way and must work together to save the world of Dreaming and Realis.
First off, you are thrust into this new world. You don’t get asked if it’s ok, there is no easing into it… YOU ARE GOING AND WHAT?! Right from the beginning there is action and it lasts all the way until the end.
What I liked:
• This beautiful world. You could tell that the author took time and care into really developing this concept. As complex as it is in theory, there is a simplicity in it that allows you to just accept it for what it is. If you die in Dreaming you die in Realis and you don’t necessarily have a say so. Key players involved are the Elementals that have all gone whack. There are so many ways to complicate this but by the end of the book you are like wow that could totally happen and that makes sense. (See? Simple).
• Zoe. Yes, Gavin is cute. Yes, Gavin has potential for greatness because hey, he backs his woman up no matter what BUT Zoe is kick ass! She has not had a perfect life by any means and she herself is not perfect. However, she is a strong, smart, independent, proactive, no nonsense type of gal that doesn’t freak out about impossibly possible things. I LOVE HER!
• ALL of the characters. Not only are the main characters pretty kick ass, so is the rest of the crew. Every single one of them is likeable, well developed and intriguing. I have my eye on Sinnder. Umm Hmm.
• The relationship that develops between Zoe and Gavin. The sex came about instantly at the very beginning of the book but in a realistic way. The relationship develops throughout the book again in a most realistic way. By the end of the book you are rooting for them in every way imaginable.
• The writing. There was this one part in the book where Dreaming was described and it was so poetic it had me in a dreamlike state. It reminded me of the part of “heaven” in the movie What Dreams May Come. Like being in a painting that hasn’t completely dried. Then you have the great action scenes and the passionate scenes! Making you root and wish you were having those kinds of dreams too… All of the writing in this book flows and it makes you feel things when you need to feel them seamlessly. A true talent.
• Gavin’s lyrics. WOW!
• NO LOVE TRIANGLE! Enough said.
• THE ENDING! This book came together nicely and it ended just as nicely. With the perfect ending.
The new terminology takes some time getting used to but you will find yourself totally immersed in this new world almost instantly. This book is ridunkulous in the creativity and originality department. You will experience hot under the collar moments, laugh out loud moments and tear up every now and then. Kendall Grey has a way with words and you really need to pick this one up if you haven’t already. All the profits from book sales will be donated to whale research. It can’t get any better than this!
Please check out this beautiful site where you can find out more about this world prior to reading the book! Just Breathe Trilogy
View all my reviews