Shift by Jeri Smith-Ready

Genre: YA

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Audio Book


Goodreads Says: In the second book of the Shade trilogy from Jeri Smith-Ready, Aura is torn between the two boys who hold her heart—and determined to unravel the secrets of the Shift. Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to.     Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one at her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift. She’s not the only one seeking answers, though, and danger grows as she discovers new truths.     Who can Aura trust with her secrets? And to whom will she give her heart?  


Logan has Shaded, Aura is exploring her feelings for Zachary and Logan while itching to find out more about her conception/origins, Zachary is Zachary... The adults all have secrets to tell and the Department of Metaphysical Purity is getting nastier and scarier.

I had such high hopes after reading the first book Shade. The tone was the same and although I still liked the overall story it went downhill kind of quickly for me. This book focused way too much on Aura's numerous amorous relationships. It also focused a bit too much on her flaring hormones. For such a smart girl all she had her brain on was sex and that to me was a turn off. I think I disliked Zachary most in this book. As sweet as he can be and as considerate as he can be he can equally be a jackass. I did not appreciate his back and forth. Aura lets be together, two minutes later, Aura we maybe need to create some space between us... There was more of this and it just ticked me off and frustrated me beyond belief. Zachary totally made a bonehead move and Aura actually let it slide because she thought he was so hot. I mean seriously?? I sometimes wish some of these ladies were written to be a lot stronger and less tolerant than they are. I get this is fiction but there are a lot of girls reading these books and hopefully they have enough sense to know that kind of behavior/reaction is ridiculous.

I think what saved this for me is that we finally get some answers to some of the mystery created in Shade. We learn what happened at Newgrange the months prior to Aura and Zachary being conceived, more about Aura's mom and dad and finally we understand a bit more about the connection Aura and Zachary share.

I still recommend the series as it is a unique story and I'm hoping Shine, the third installment, will wrap things up nicely and be a lot more balanced than this book.



View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment