The Theory of Attraction by Delphine Dryden

Genre: Adult/Erotica 

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Goodreads Says: Camilla can set her watch by her hunky rocket-scientist neighbor who jogs past her window each day. She relishes each glimpse of his shirtless abs, and is dying to see more. But it’s hard to connect with a man who doesn’t seem to know she exists…

Ivan feels at home in the lab, not in social situations. When he finally approaches his attractive neighbor, it’s not for a date—he wants tutoring in how to behave at an important fundraiser. Ivan doesn’t expect the chemistry between them to be quite so explosive, and is surprised when Cami actually accepts his proposal to embark on a series of “lessons”.

Cami soon discovers Ivan’s schedule isn’t the only thing he likes to be strict about—he needs to be charge in the bedroom as well. She’s shocked at how much she comes to enjoy her submissive side, but wonders if a real relationship is in the equation…

I just couldn’t resist this read. The synopsis sounded that good. I was intrigued to find out what this story was about and found out I did!

First off this story is an erotica with BDSM in it. I personally don’t like BDSM and mostly because it’s not for me, I just don’t understand it AND it’s not for me. But hey, I won’t knock it and I’ll give it a chance every now and then (READING, that is). This would be one of those now and thens. I really enjoyed this story. It was cute, funny, mostly realistic and just plain fun.

Camilla lives near a University, in a building occupied by mostly professors and employees of said University. Camilla has this HOT neighbor, Ivan, who she has been observing, analyzing and drooling over for a while now. Everyone in the building gets along and friendships have formed. They hang out with one another, cook together and are there for one another. So it’s no surprise when Ivan asks Camilla to help him out by prepping him for a fundraiser that’s coming up. Ivan is brilliant academically, not so much socially. After a few weeks of tutoring Ivan, one thing leads to another and Camilla finds out that there is more to Ivan than she’s ever observed.

This was written well and I loved Camilla and Ivan. I even liked that the author didn’t just throw the BDSM in there like BAM in your face but actually weaved an explanation of what certain things mean. I.e. Blindfolding. It’s really about trusting that the other person won’t hurt you while enjoying the mystery and surprise of what’s happening around you. I get it… I can relatein theory. :-)
So, yeah, I liked that Professor Ivan let some of us in on the psychological workings of a BDSM mind.

The only thing I had a problem with was the ending. Camilla had unrealistic expectations of Ivan. I would think she would know by now that he was going take things slow or not have a clue about what she wanted and thought. What she wanted or felt was realistic just how quickly she wanted Ivan to figure it out was not.

At any rate read the book, because I think you should, so you can find out what I’m talking about and let the discussion begin!

ARC provided by Carina Press via NetGalley. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment