The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

Genre: YA

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Goodreads Says: Don’t Sweat.  Don’t Laugh.  Don’t draw attention to yourself.  And most of all, whatever you do, do not fall in love with one of them.

Gene is different from everyone else around him.  He can’t run with lightning speed, sunlight doesn’t hurt him and he doesn’t have an unquenchable lust for blood.  Gene is a human, and he knows the rules.  Keep the truth a secret.  It’s the only way to stay alive in a world of night—a world where humans are considered a delicacy and hunted for their blood.

When he’s chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt the last remaining humans, Gene’s carefully constructed life begins to crumble around him.  He’s thrust into the path of a girl who makes him feel things he never thought possible—and into a ruthless pack of hunters whose suspicions about his true nature are growing. Now that Gene has finally found something worth fighting for, his need to survive is stronger than ever—but is it worth the cost of his humanity?

Audiobook Review

I bought the book but because I have other books that I had to read first, I decided to listen to this one.

In this paranormal dystopian world, humans are nearly extinct. The world is governed by the vampires who live in it. Gene, our narrator, happens to be one of the last humans on earth and we accompany him as he hides his humanity and lives among the vampires in secret.

This concept was unique. I will admit that much. Wait… No it’s not. There was a movie with this same concept and in fact I remember feeling that this was very familiar. Now I know why! The hunt is kind of like the movie Daybreakers! Only difference… In Daybreakers, we know why humans are hiding from the vampires, why they are the minority. We know why humans are that special kind of rare caviar that costs thousands of dollars and literally can be consumed within a min or two. We don’t find out why in The Hunt.

I really didn't like this one. I found the narrator extremely boring. I also found the story to be bland. I couldn't really understand the need for Gene to want to survive. The whole keeping up a front of being a vampire was stressful. There were a bunch of rules to follow and I just couldn't understand why anyone would want to go through all that for no reason at all. I guess anyone’s natural instinct would be to survive but Gene didn't even seem, I don’t know, like he even understood why he had to keep alive other than the fact that his dad told him he must. Gene was just a bit boring. The romance was awkward. A lot of what went down in the book was a bit awkward or weird or boring.

There are some pretty gross things that go down in this book but honestly, I didn't mind them. THAT was actually kind of cool. :-)

Within the very last few lines of the book you'll find a nice reveal and somewhat of a cliffhanger. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough of a motivation to want to read the next book in the series.

On the flip side: My 11 year-old really liked this one and you might too. As always give it a try and let me know what you think.

On to the next one.

The Giveaway 

I have a brand new copy of The Hunt sitting in my bedroom waiting to be delivered to the very first person who comments on this post living in the US. (Sorry, I be poor.)  Yep... that simple. Say hi, leave your email addy and I will send you The Hunt this week!

Yay!

2 comments:

  1. hi:) Interesting review. Hmmm a boring narrator? An awkward romance? Normally I wouldn't even think of reading it BUT I have read some books others didn't like & loved them, so I'm game to try it and see for myself :D I've seen Daybraker's so I definetly want to try it!

    & LOL, who can refuse such an offer? I'm in the US ^_^
    lizzy9rule(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesomeness! It's yours. I'll email you in a few. I too have read books others didn't like. Perhaps I would have liked the book more had I actually read it and not listened to it. At any rate, come back and let me know what you thought about it!

      Delete