Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Genre: YA 

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Goodreads Says: No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.

As you all know I really didn't like Obsidian, book one of the Lux series. I couldn't understand for the life of me why everyone was falling for Daemon aka “Major Douche”. However, because I read all things JLA, I decided I’d go ahead and read Onyx. Onyx was BAD ASS! Yes, it really was and naturally, being that it was BAD ASS, I became a Lux fan. I jumped on in on that Lux party bus!

Needless to say, I was uber excited about reading OPAL… and then I wasn't.

There were a few things that stood out to me…

*Opal felt like it was suffering from middle book syndrome. It lost its steam. It felt like the same ole, same ole. It felt like much of it was filler. It felt like an attempt to make the Lux series longer.

*Daemon and Katy get closer. Yeah, like really close. Although a sex scene was handled very tastefully, another scene bumped this little YA into the NEW ADULT category for me. This wasn't a huge problem with me only that I keep thinking that this particular series is always hotter than even the Adult books JLA writes. I don’t know. At any rate, some stuff goes down that parents should know is happening if their kid is reading it and is younger than 17. IMO.

*Daemon and Katy continue to do things that either are out of character like in Daemon’s case or things she’s already said she will not do like keep things from Daemon like in Katy’s case. The timing of the instances I’m thinking of were wonky and clearly were done to make the story go where it ended.

BUT...

The ending is cray cray. High five on the jaw dropping ending.

Overall, you’ll still get the ha ha moments, crazy sexual tension, alien action you've come to love. There are two books due out after this one. I really hope that the next installment will be better.

On to the next...

0 comments:

Post a Comment