Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Genre: YA

My Rating: 2 of 5 Stars

Goodreads Says: What if your whole world was a lie?
What if a single revelation—like a single choice—changed everything?
What if love and loyalty made you do things you never expected?

The explosive conclusion to Veronica Roth's #1 New York Times bestselling Divergent trilogy reveals the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

I haven’t made it a secret that Divergent is NOT one of my favorite series. I went all in because the author is from Chicago, the book is placed in Chicago and I’m just loyal to Chicago! Well, to a certain extent. Any who… I really wanted to be supportive and so I was.

Divergent was just OK to me. My rating of 4 stars was based on the fact that the story felt good to read. I was not overly invested in it or totally wow’d by it but it was a good start and enough to keep me interested. There definitely were plenty of holes in the story. Well, I didn't see them as holes. I saw them more as we are not getting the whole story, which is totally OK because rarely do you get the whole story when there is still two more books to be written.  The fact that my son was completely excited about the factions and couldn't stop talking about it motivated me enough to keep up with the series.

Insurgent was action packed and although there was a lot going on, none of it had anything to do with resolving some of the holes that were introduced in book one. There were too many hormones involved and little moving along which is crazy because things were happening but again it all felt covert. If anything, Insurgent left me asking the same questions in Divergent and a crap load more that arose while reading it.

Needless to say I was glad that Allegiant was here because you just have to have all your questions answered in the last book, right?

Right?

Wrong…

It will be really hard to keep this one spoiler free.  So you've been warned.

Things started to bug me right from the beginning. Problems/complications would arise and a moment later is resolved effortlessly. People would die and their deaths weren't mourned. It was like move on, business as usual.  

The biggest question in my mind had to do with the factions and the reasoning for it. There was an attempt to explain it but it utterly didn't make sense. It had to do with biology and let's just say that no matter how far in the future it is, the way they tried to eradicate behaviors doesn't add up.  

These are just a few things that I found wrong with the last installment in the series.

Everyone is screaming about the ending. I mean EVERYONE. It has been the number one topic for a few weeks now as new readers continue to start and finish the last book. It's like the never ending shocker.
I actually thought it was incredibly brave of the author to end the series in the way she did. Again, I don't think it made any sense but I don't hate her for it. Veronica Roth tries to explain and give her reasons for the ending here. It's definitely a spoiler so don't go there if you haven't finished Allegiant or if you're sensitive about spoilers.

Upon finishing the book I had to really take some time to think about the rating I would give and really about how I felt. Here it is... My 2 star rating is pretty much due to the following:
I finished the book and for the next few days realized that I hadn't connected with any of the characters. Not once did I really care about what happened to them or not. I really think this had to do with the writing.  One thing that remained true was that with any of the factions their was a disconnect. It's like they felt but not really. I found that I started to feel that way too. This was huge to me. I had invested a lot of time into this series and walked away empty.

At last, the new movie will be released soon and I do hope that it is way better experience for me than the books have. I've seen the trailer and it looks great. I'm hoping that it is. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment