Today on Rumor Has It I’ll be reviewing two shorts that are being released as serials aka “episodes”aka in parts. I received ARCs of both from the publishers via Netgalley.


First up is...

Begin With Goodbye by Lily Wright
Genre: Adult
My Rating: 4 of 5 Stars

 
BEGIN WITH GOODBYE Vol. 1 is the first installment in a serial romance series. It is approximately 5000 words (about 18 pages.) New volumes will be released every 2-3 weeks until the story is complete.

When Samantha left Harborhaven for her freshmen year in college, she barely looked in her rearview mirror. Now it's three years later and she's back for her sister's funeral.

But only Samantha knows the truth: for all intents, her sister died three years ago on the night of her senior prom. Coming home means coming face to face with the man she holds responsible--her sister's husband and Samantha's former lover, Julian Ashburn.






This was extremely short, being 19 pages and all, yet it was the best first 19 pages! I was completely impressed with how many emotions were conveyed so far and how quickly it got to the point. As the synopsis mentions, Samantha has been away at college and has returned to attend her sister’s funeral. We get Samantha’s POV as to why she is so ticked off with her sister’s husband as well as her mother and father. You can tell by the way it ended there will be plenty of drama and that it is definitely a complicated story. I really enjoyed it and I definitely want to read the rest of the installments to come.


This one happens to be available on Amazon and on  iTunes for free right now. I think you should all check it out.




Next up is...


Beg (Songs of Submission) by CD Reiss
Genre: Adult 
My Rating: 4 of 5 Stars

 
This novella is the first in a series

My name is Monica. I’m a singer born and raised in Los Angeles.
I’ve stopped dating. When I cut a record, or win a Grammy, maybe then I’ll be with someone, but every man in my past has done everything he could to make me submit myself to him, and it’s gotten in the way of my career. I won’t do it again.

But there’s Jonathan. He owns the high-rise hotel where I work, and he is gorgeous and charming. I refuse to fall in love with him, even though when he asks me to submit to him, I want nothing more.

****GRAPHIC LANGUAGE, SEX, AND ADULT SITUATIONS****



 
This one’s a lot longer at about 100 pages or so. We meet Monica, a singer of a band, but like most artists is finding it hard to make a decent living on just the arts/music alone. While waitressing at a hotel, she meets Jonathan who is hot, intriguing and persuasive. Monica has sworn off men until after she makes it big in music but yeah, that seems to all go out the window when Jonathan proves to be too enticing to pass up on. So the adventure begins!


This read was many things. It was funny, quirky at times, sexy and definitely a page turner. Oh, and the hot was definitely HOT. Monica had my eyes rolling galore the first chapter or so but I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed myself overall. I ended this first installment wanting to pick up the next one right away.


This book is also available for free on Amazon and iTunes right now.






Here’s the deal. I knew I was reading shorts when I requested these from NetGalley and I was ok with that.  I’m not sure why all of a sudden authors are releasing bits and pieces of a book. It is definitely becoming a trend and again, I’m not sure why.  I would much rather read either a novella or a novel but when stories are released this way it makes it hard to wait for a few pages in between stories. Another issue I have with shorts being released in this way is that at the moment Begin with Goodbye Vol. 2 is available for .99  at 27 pages while the other installments of Songs of Submission are being sold anywhere from 2.99 to 5.99 for a about 100 pages each. I don’t think this is cool at all. In fact I wanted to pick up the next installments for both of the books but I can’t justify paying that much for parts of a book.

UPDATE: 12/13/13 was nice enough to let me know over at Twitter that CD Reiss has Sequence One which is parts 1-3 and Sequence Two which is parts 4-6 for $5.99 each.  Part one and part four are free right now. Well, that's a little better! Thank you Goddessesses United for the heads up! 
These two series are on my radar and I am eager to follow up on the reads as they did leave me wanting more but I’m going to have to wait until they are complete and/or on sale.

What do you think about this whole trend?

0 comments:

Post a Comment