Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready

Genre: YA

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Goodreads Says: Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last. 

Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.

Well, sort of.

Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan's violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.

It doesn't help that Aura's new friend Zachary is so understanding--and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart...and clues to the secret of the Shift.

Audio Book

I'm on a mission. I am trying to read books that have been on my TBR list forever. Not to mention I'm trying to read books in particular whose series is being wrapped up. This is one of them. :-) With the last book coming out May 1st I thought I should get my reading on.

I'm so glad I did! What a funny and refreshing read. I think what I loved most was the unique plot. A shift in the universe has occurred where 16 year old's and younger are able to see ghosts and at times are forced to help these ghosts pass on. I for one believe that there are energies and spirits all around us. In this book they were so lonely. It was so sad. The ghosts can't see one another. They can only see these kids and for the most part the kids act like they can't see or hear the ghosts because they can't live a normal life otherwise.

It was interesting to see the post shifters and ghosts interact. Although I thought Logan to be annoying at times I really felt he loved Aura and the struggles he faced as a ghost with regrets was heart felt. I also enjoyed and appreciated how hard it was for Aura to deal. Think about it... Your boyfriend dies but you can still see and interact with him. You lose him but never really get to lose him. She struggles with moving on as well as Logan's little brother who happens to be going through the same emotions. How do you really mourn someone who still exists in your world? The new exchange student Zachary was definitely mysterious and likable. I for one have a thing for the Scottish and let me tell you I LOVED that Jeri Smith Ready included that particular detail in the book.

All in all I would have liked for more to have been revealed by the end but it was all engaging enough. The characters were great and solid. The world that was created was great and solid.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jeri Smith-Read at the RT 2012 Convention and let me tell you she was SO nice. Yeah I'm a sucker for nice. Not too many people are. I was happy to find this book in one of our gift bags! I recommend this book and can't wait to read the third as I've already finished the second. ;-)

On to the next!



View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment